The Octonia Grant: In Orange and Greene Counties
by J. Randolph Grymes, Jr. In 1722 eight patentees received a patent to 24,000 acres, a holding that stretched along the Rapidan River from north-central Orange County to beyond Stanardsville in today?s Greene County.(Greene was formed from Orange in 1838.) As an historian and a professional engineer, Mr. Grymes meticulously researched and wrote the history of that grant and its people. His field research actually located the last known Octonia boundary stone, carved with a cross atop the number eight.
Click To Enlarge
- Item #: #W204